Friday 30 July 2010

Oops - Sorry I've Been A Bit Sidetracked

Just realised that I haven't update my blog for a couple of days but I have been absorbed in my reading!

So far this week I've read 'Solar' by Ian McEwan, 'The Messiah Secret' by James Becker and I'm now about a third of the way through 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' by Stieg Larsson.

'Solar' follows the life of a Nobel Laureate who, after a series of unfortunate incidents, develops a new form of energy based on photosynthesis.  The story is more about him and his personal life than the scientific breakthrough, and is a very good read.  I won't spoil anything but I was a little disappointed in the ending which could lead to a sequel.

'The Messiah Secret' is the third in a series of "looking for religious artefacts"novels that follow a detective and his archeologist ex-wife who get into all sorts of scrapes in their quests to track down a particular item that usually has world changing consequences.  The books are a bit formulaic in a Dan Brown sort of way but they are an amusing diversion.

"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" is currently a New York Times best seller that has recently been made into a film and is the first book in a trilogy.  It's quite a good read although as it's set in Sweden, some of the characters names and the principal locations are a little unpronounceable.  The book was written in Swedish and has been translated into English very well.  I will follow this up with the other two books but will intersperse them with other novels.

I've also got a rather fascinating book on Executions that I am dipping in and out of and I have Peter Mandelson's autobiography 'The Third Man' to start but I am putting that off for a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment